Old January 30th, 2010, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BikeRider50

Default Laptop computers

Charles wrote:
In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

Well, we have now established that the iPad is $499 to $849.
Competitive prcies with other tablets. Is it a Windblows tablet
killer? Probably not. Is it a netbook killer? Quite possible. The
problem is that it appears to be ARM based rather than Intel, so
software built for X won't run on it. But, if it is ARM, and it also
appears to be very close to the iPhone OS, there are (as of RIGHT NOW)
149,219 apps for it. A good code jockey cn write one a week. I could
probably get one out every couple of months, and I haven't written
"real" code in years.

Almost all the 149,219 iPhone apps will run on the iPad. It does
everything I need to do when traveling on a cruise or other travel and
what I do with my laptop when sitting on my couch at home. Plus it will
be an e-book reader. The pricing is a pleasant surprise to me. I was
expecting $999. So I will be getting one. Have to decide how much
memory and whether to get the Wi-Fi only version or the Wi-Fi plus 3G
version. I got a few months to decide which.

New adoptee.

Ipad has no camera, no ability to run Flash (so most web apps won't
work), a keyboard that you can't type well on, no replaceable battery,
no USB port, no way to multitask, too big to stick in a pocket, too
delicate a screen and a way too small amount of memory and storage.
Stupid.
It won't replace a laptop or netbook and it can't replace a phone. It's
just a large sized Itouch.
No way it sells well, except to geeks with more money than brains.