Old January 30th, 2010, 01:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Lloyd Parsons

Default Laptop computers

In article ,
BikeRider50 wrote:

Charles wrote:
In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

Well, we have now established that the iPad is $499 to $849.
Competitive prcies with other tablets. Is it a Windblows tablet
killer? Probably not. Is it a netbook killer? Quite possible. The
problem is that it appears to be ARM based rather than Intel, so
software built for X won't run on it. But, if it is ARM, and it also
appears to be very close to the iPhone OS, there are (as of RIGHT NOW)
149,219 apps for it. A good code jockey cn write one a week. I could
probably get one out every couple of months, and I haven't written
"real" code in years.

Almost all the 149,219 iPhone apps will run on the iPad. It does
everything I need to do when traveling on a cruise or other travel and
what I do with my laptop when sitting on my couch at home. Plus it will
be an e-book reader. The pricing is a pleasant surprise to me. I was
expecting $999. So I will be getting one. Have to decide how much
memory and whether to get the Wi-Fi only version or the Wi-Fi plus 3G
version. I got a few months to decide which.

New adoptee.

Ipad has no camera, no ability to run Flash (so most web apps won't
work), a keyboard that you can't type well on, no replaceable battery,
no USB port, no way to multitask, too big to stick in a pocket, too
delicate a screen and a way too small amount of memory and storage.
Stupid.
It won't replace a laptop or netbook and it can't replace a phone. It's
just a large sized Itouch.
No way it sells well, except to geeks with more money than brains.

Everyone one want to define it by what it isn't, wrong way to look, imo.

As to how well it sells, well maybe it will take them 2 days to sell out
the first production run instead of only 1!

You are basically saying some of the things that were said about the
iPod and how it just wasn't going to sell and do well in the market.