Old February 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Travelocity/Princess Single Penalty

In article .com,
"AWB" wrote:

The cruise lines claim to lose $$ on single cruisers even at a 200%
supplement.

A single cruiser will only pay for one shore excursion at a time, will
typically drink for one, take one spa treatment at a time, etc. The
cost savings on the food is unmeasurable.

They make money on all the optional expenses and a single cruiser only
typically spends 50% of the norm.

I know that is what they claim, but that claim is only valid if the ship
sails completely full. That is almost never the case, especially in the
Caribbean. A single in a cabin may mean less profit than 2 to a cabin,
but it sure represents a whole lot more profit than zero in a cabin.

And if that were really true, then how come many of the really upscale
lines have very low supplements or none at all? Heck, even HAL had
125%, maybe they still do.

There are some that say the bean counters are in charge, well if they
are, they aren't very good bean counters. Good ones would be working to
fill all those empty cabins in some way.

And I know that some lines claim that they are full when it isn't the
case at all. I remember Golden Princes having signs out about being
full, yet during the week it became apparent that wasn't the case at
all. Lots of balcony cabins were empty, or if you are gullible, lots of
people paid for a balcony cabin and never went on the balcony!

For the price some of the consumer lines want for a sailing for a solo,
you can go on a much more upscale line. I just had an emailing about a
longer cruise on one of them and the perdiem was less than $250/day
which included practically everything, and certainly things that the
consumer lines charge extra for.

These days I don't look at the supplement, I just look at what it is
going to cost me. If it is more than what I consider a fair rate, then
I'm not going. That rate is adjusted by what line and what amenities
are included in the total cost.