Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Default Iceland: scenic driving advice?

I prefer "rooms in peoples house" myself. But I carry a tent and
sleeping bag just in case. I've had to use them four days out of
four months traveling.

I've done that twice (without the tent), both times in Greece a long
time ago, and it was friggin horrible. I really really wouldn't want
to try it in Iceland, even with a tent. (You are quite likely to end
up somewhere you'd a need a rock drill to get the pegs in).

We came badly unstuck when travelling from Adelaide to Melbourne by car. We
don't normally book anything other than first and last night near an airport.
There was an agricultural fair taking place where we had planned to stop
everything was full up in the area.

I hit something like that in Istanbul once, arriving at night from
eastern Turkey. Normally there's no problem finding a hotel room
in the Sirkeci area. What I didn't know was that there was an
international football match on, and 50,000 English supporters in
red shirts had turned up for it.