Old August 11th, 2008, 02:19 AM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

Default Watch out for Credit Card fees when travelling to Canada

"Steve Wolf" wrote:
If my debit card is used improperly and I conform with the requirements,
such as reporting the violation within forty-eight hours of my learning of
it, I am protected. The difference between my credit card and my debit
card has to do with what happens when it is used. My credit card bill
describes the violation and I don't pay for it. My debit is deducted
immediately. That deduction is recovered within ten days of the report.
The immediate deduction sucks. You can get really screwed up if you
have automatic payments get boggled in that ten day period....

Aye, and there's the rub, matey. If something goes awry and its tied to
your checking account, sure you can get your $$ back fairly quickly
(once you notice), but in the meantime...
-- Without OD protection, your vendors could be seriously unhappy.
-- With OD protection, your notice could be significantly delayed.
I simply prefer that the bank draw the money from an account where
there is a limit, and it would not affect my other financial dealings.