Old August 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

Default Watch out for Credit Card fees when travelling to Canada

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 23:05:42 -0700, Ken Harrison
wrote:

This fee, which is simply a "junk" fee providing no service, can also be
avoided by taking travelers cheques, whose commission is generally much
less than the credit card junk fees. And, if one is a member of AAA, he
can probably get those cheques for no charge at all. More's the better!

During our travels for the past twenty years in Europe, we've had great
difficulty finding businesses other than hotels which will take traveler's
checks. We find them pretty useless, unless they're AmEx and you're going
to be
staying near an AmEx location.

I'm surprised you found hotels in Europe that cashed travelers' checks.
They're just an inconvenience now. ATM for cash, credit card for bigger
amounts. And we use our credit union account, for which there's only the
normal 1% fee.

Marianne