Old November 15th, 2013, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Default Recommendations for 8 days in California

Thanks a bunch all for those helpful later suggestions to my original
post, and my apologies for slowness in acknowledging. I'm posting this
as a new thread as it's been such a long time.

On Thursday 12th December I fly into LAX and intend to book 2 nights
in an LA hotel. Mid-range upwards, room wifi, shuttle bus to LAX so
that I can return to collect my rental car at 10 am on 14th. Any
recommendations welcomed please.

I'd also appreciate suggestions for one full day in LA please, Friday
13th. I have previously visited LA but saw little except Santa Monica.
Forty years ago I enjoyed Universal Studios and would probably do so
again unless better options emerge. (I note that it's only #20 in Trip
Advisor top LA attractions list, but most of the museums and parks
ranked ahead don't really appeal. Maybe a guided bus tour? No theme
parks etc as I'll get more than my share with grandsons around San
Diego from 21st December until flight back on 28th.

And for the evening? Concert, dinner, show, 'City Walk'? ...

I then have 8 days of touring, so far unplanned, apart from collecting
rental car from Avis at LAX and returning it in Carlsbad by 5 pm on
21st December.

Preferences are for scenic driving, canyons, desert, atmospheric
towns, comfortable motels (room wifi essential). Have previously
visited Joshua Tree, Temecula, Palm Springs, San Francisco (but too
far for this trip anyway), Bryce Canyon, Yosemite, Zion. Haven't
planned to book beyond LA because of current uncertainty about weather
forecasts on 14th Dec onwards. If accessible would love another look
at Grand Canyon, despite two previous visits. Or Canyonland, which
I've never visited. But open to any and all suggestions please,
including motels.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK