Old July 8th, 2013, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen[_2_]

Default Int'l driving permit

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 09:48:52 +0200, Frank Hucklenbroich
wrote:

Am Sat, 06 Jul 2013 16:50:37 +0200 schrieb Tom P:

On 07/06/2013 05:59 AM, Király wrote:
I will be driving my father-in-law's Hungarian-registerd car around
Hungary and Croatia soon. I have a British Columbia (Canada) driver's
license.

I know that IDPs are "accpeted" in those countries but is the IDP
really needed anymore? If the police stop me will they hassle me if I
don't have one?

An IDP (or IDL) is simply a translation of the driver's license.
Strictly speaking it has no legal value, only your original driver's
license counts.

Right, an with a Canadian licence that doesn't make much sense, as the
Canadian licence is already in English, so no need for translation (the IDP
translates into english, french an Russian I think). I would assume that a
Hungarian oder Croatian policeman knows enough english to figure out the
original licence without an IDP.

It's more useful when your original licence is in some exotic language that
is not understood in many countries.

I believe the Finns will accept any valid license so long as it is in
Roman characters...