Old July 11th, 2013, 10:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default Int'l driving permit

On 2013-07-08 04:46:51 -0500, Martin said:

Some hire car companies say that you need one. No hire car companies
have ever asked me for one anywhere.

When I visited Sicily, I offered the IDL I specifically got for this
purpose, and the rental car agent looked at it askance and asked for
my regular DL!

that's because the IDL is worthless without it.

It isn't a replacement license, it's a supplement

tim

My point was that the IDL was unnecessary.

I haven't bothered, since.

Just because no-one bothered with it on one (or more) occasion(s) doesn't
mean that the next person wont

tim

Then by all mean whoever is worried about being asked for one should do as
I did: got through the hassle of getting it, and never bring it on a
second trip.

A more helpful reply would be citing where you know it will be required.

There's no answer to that question.

It's required when the official that you are dealing with decides to do
things completely by the book.

How can I (or anyone) possible predict that?

I'm not talking the situation where people get one without first checking
that a particular country requires it for their DL type. I'm talking about
the anecdotal evidence given here, that even when a country does officially
require one, no-one ever checks. You simply cannot rely on that advice, it
may be you who gets stopped by the jobsworth!

tim