Old April 13th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Default Frugal Hawaii vacation?

We did a frugal Oahu trip in 1999 from Fl with great success.

Got a package from Pleasant Hawaiin Holidays that included car, hotel,
and airfare from San Francisco for 7 nights in July for about $450pp.
We stayed at the Aston Island Colony Hotel about 4 blocks from the
beach, but, on the canal. Had great views of Diamond Head, city, canal,
and the beach. Rooftop pool, laundry, restaurant (didn't use though).
Room was had an efficiency kitchenette with a fridge, stove top,
microwave, bath, bedroom, and balcony. We could walk to everything
easily and had younger kids along. There are a lot of fast food and
cheap food in Waikki and lots of inexpensive things to do (along with
some expensive things if you are so inclined). We really did not need
the car as there was good bus service.

We purchased our own air to San Francisco for $150 pp and enjoyed a week
there prior to leaving on our Hawaiian Package just because we had the
time.

Reseach Oahu and Waikii and be informed of all the free and/or cheap
activities such as the weekly Kodak Hula show, free entertainment in the
Marketplace, hiking Diamond Head, swimming, Pearl Harbor, etc. With
some research you can pull this trip off very nicely for under $2000.