Old November 10th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Deep Freud Moors

Default rec.travel.europe FAQ

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:42:09 GMT, (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

Deep Freud Moors wrote:
Well, Javascript is just fine, but Java, (which is of course something
completely different) is slow, cumbersome, and just plain crappy IMO.
Generally speaking, err on the side of simplicity when building web
stuff.

Here's something that I did just with Javascript and a bunch of
images. Nothing too spectacular...
http://www.geocities.com/deepfloydmars/

But this illustrates the frequent problem with javascript: Since the object
models and other tedious minutiae differ so much from one implementation to
another, it's a lot of work to write stuff that reliably works for everyone
(or gracefully falls back when it's not going to work). When I click on the
question marks, they just turn into smaller question marks:

http://u.nu/dfm_screenshot.jpg

Aaaah, such is the nature of web programming! This page is about 4
years old now, and I never tested is thoroughly because I knew the
target was IE4+. All my web programming has been targetted to specific
browsers (coz I do mostly intranet stuff, or pure HTML, which I don't
consider programming).

In this instance, the Javascript I used for swapping the images
appears to not work properly. Also, it relies on loading all of the
images before you start too. Javascript is not a language you want to
use for building an interactive application!. Like I was saying,
always err on the side of simplicity.
---
DFM