Old January 5th, 2004, 08:06 AM
TNSAF

Default US going metric?

Richard wrote:
On 4 Jan 2004 21:35:41 -0800, (florian) wrote:

"jj" wrote in message
I'm curious, has there ever been an attempt at going metric in
the US? e.g. using Celsius? How do people feel about it?

jj

Hi! I was born in "Celsius" European country, now living in San
Francisco Bay area. I like western USA, but in my opinion half
population (Asians, south and central Americans) + thousands
tourists
and international busisnessmen in San Francisco area don`t know the
fahrenhait scale. Weather in local TV news and in newspapers is in
fahrenhait only. Where is problem in TV or newspapers to write
90F/32C
or 82F/28C or 54F/12C ? I don`t know. I even complained to local TV
station and had nice answer, but they don`t plan to change.

KVOS based in Bellingham (near Vancouver) quote the temperatures for
U.S. towns in Fahrenheit and Canadian towns in Celsius (I suspect
quite a large proportion of their viewers are Canadian)

Yes, even have an office in Vancouver and draw Canadian advertising... I
would bet there biggest audience is on the Canadian side (Vancouver and
Victoria)!