Old July 8th, 2013, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Default Int'l driving permit

Am Mon, 8 Jul 2013 12:07:58 +0100 schrieb tim.....:

"Frank Hucklenbroich" wrote in message
.. .
Am Sat, 06 Jul 2013 16:50:37 +0200 schrieb Tom P:

On 07/06/2013 05:59 AM, Király wrote:
I will be driving my father-in-law's Hungarian-registerd car around
Hungary and Croatia soon. I have a British Columbia (Canada) driver's
license.

I know that IDPs are "accpeted" in those countries but is the IDP
really needed anymore? If the police stop me will they hassle me if I
don't have one?

An IDP (or IDL) is simply a translation of the driver's license.
Strictly speaking it has no legal value, only your original driver's
license counts.

Right, an with a Canadian licence that doesn't make much sense, as the
Canadian licence is already in English, so no need for translation (the
IDP
translates into english, french an Russian

Spanish, Italian, Arabic, German, one of the Chinese scripts and Japanese (I
think)

Okay, but non of these languages is spoken in Hungary of Croatia...so the
original licence in English should be fine.

Regards,

Frank