Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default East or West Coast?

First time poster.

Welcome! September is a great time to vacation in the U.S. Attractions
aren't as crowded, and its not as hot.

It is going to either be New York, Washington and
down the East Coast as far as South Caroline. Alternatively
I was thinking California, Vegas and the Grand Canyon.

You could certainly have a great time with either plan. It would help
if you explained more about what you like to do. Hiking? Museums?
Nightlife? Lying on the beach? The more specific you are, the better
the advice we can give.

she always says to me is she wants to see
real America.

Well the big cities are certainly "real America" too, but if she's
looking for small-town America, there are certainly many places to
experience that on either route. (I have a friend who visits the U.K.
frequently and she prefers the British small towns much more than the
big cities.)

Do you think your mom would really like to avoid big cities as much as
possible? If so, that would be a major consideration when planning your
trip. Also it makes me wonder if she'd really enjoy Vegas. It's not a
big city, but the gambling, sexy billboards, etc. might be unappealing
to someone who prefers a traditional small-town atmosphere. Hard to say
without knowing more about her.

Jim