Old October 13th, 2007, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Rosalie B.

Default Have you been to Dominica?

Brian K wrote:

On 10/11/2007 8:15 PM Rosalie B. consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

I've boned up a bit on Dominica since you first asked. I first heard
of it when I sat next to a woman from there an a plane. There are
lots of eco-type things to do there. Lots of waterfalls to hike to,
snorkeling, scuba, whale watching, kayaking, and various other boating
activities in addition to the rain forest tram

The next time we did the rain forest tram
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8af65/#TL I would recommend
that, but it doesn't run unless there's cruise ship there.

I didn't know they have a museum. What was it about it that you didn't
like, but like now in retrospect? What kind of museum? Art? Historical?
etc?

I sort of collect museums. No matter where I go, I seem to find
museums. Not an art museum. Kind of a natural history museum. I
would almost bet that none of the other cruise ship passengers went to
it (there was no one there when we were there), and there were 2
cruise ships there that day.

Their website says: "Closed Sunday.
Housed in an old market house dating from 1810, the museum’s permanent
exhibit provides a clear and interesting overview of the island’s
geology, history, archaeology, economy, and culture. The displays on
pre-Columbian peoples, the slave trade, and the Fighting
Maroons—slaves who resisted their white slave owners and established
their own communities—are particularly informative."

And that's about what it was. They had exhibits about the
http://p.vtourist.com/3331925-Symbol...y-Dominica.jpg
pre-Columbian indians,
http://p.vtourist.com/3331923-Canoe_...d-Dominica.jpg
and rooms set up like a Planter's home,
http://p.vtourist.com/3331924-Recrea...e-Dominica.jpg
and also a home of a more ordinary person,
http://p.vtourist.com/3331927-Room_i...e-Dominica.jpg
and a native type hut.
http://p.vtourist.com/3723557-Displa...n-Dominica.jpg

I don't know why I was so down on this museum to begin with. It
carried over to St. Kitts - I saw a museum there, and didn't even go
in!! The Smithsonian it's not. It's not even as big as the Museum
in Cozumel or the one in Fort Walton Beach. But it is only $3.00