Old January 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default am considering an extended travel trip to bavaria....

"andynative" wrote in message

I was born in Bavaria....since have moved to the U.S. and have served in
the U.S. Military and have been granted 100 percent disability where I
receive a steady income....I am interested in going "home" to visit
family and possibly relocate for a few years....wondering what the
process is and where to go to find out about that....driving, taxes,
visiting, etc., etc., etc.
Thanks anyone, everyone!!!!

I've left this for a few days to see if anyone else had any answers, but as
they don't I'll give you my little bit.

Wrt your driving license, what you have to do will depend upon which state
you are from. The German authorities have agreements to transfer (or not) a
US license into a German one, on a state by state basis. There is a list,
somewhere, telling you which states are transferable and which are not. But
as a guide my (ex) friend from CA was most ****ed to find that she had to
take a test to get a German license, whist someone from a state which she
regarded as having a noddy ("get in the car and drive 15 yards") test (NV I
think) was given one "on the nod".

Note that to get a German license via a test, this requires that you have
taken a certain number of hours of professional tuition, you can't just turn
up at the test centre and demonstrate that you can drive. Of course, you
are allowed to drive on your US license (probably with an International
license), but this will only be a for a few weeks or months.

tim