Old December 27th, 2005, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Port Everglades - any first-timer hints?

D. Williger wrote:
We're on the Sun Princess repositioning through the Panama Canal on April
27.
Although we've been in other cruise terminals, we've never sailed from Port
Everglades. I know Princess uses Terminal 2, but past that we know nothing.

I can't speak specifically about Princess, but I've sailed out of Port
Everglades several times, on a few different cruiselines, and it all
seems to be about the same...

Can some experienced cruisers tell us what to expect after the shuttle dumps
our luggage on the curb?

A porter will take your bags (and a tip) and place them either on, or
near a baggage cart, to be transported to the ship. Next time you see
your bags, they'll be in, or outside, your stateroom. Be sure to have
what you'll need for the day, in the bag you carry on, because it could
be several hours before you see your checked bags again.

What facilities are inside?

Do you mean like bathrooms? Some cruise terminals I've been in have had
a little convenience/candy store thing. Sometimes the ship's spa will
have a table set up for information or booking appointments. Sometimes
there has bee a display selling a wine package for the cruise. Once you
check in, there is usually a seating area to wait, until it's time to
board.

How long does check-in take using the Express option?

Express lines are usually faster, but if, for instance, the computers
are down (which has happened), Express won't be moving any faster than
the other lines. Also, the regular line probably has more people
working it, so it might actually move faster than an express line. You
can survey the situation when you get there.

What's the earliest we should arrive there (sail at 5pm)?

I wouldn't show up before 11:30. When you actually can board is very
dependent on when the last of the previous cruise's passengers
debarked. If there was a delay of any kind (immigration, weather,
etc.), it'll delay boarding of your cruise. The earliest I'd show up is
11:30, and for a 5:00 sailing, the latest I'd show up is probably
around 3:00 or so.

When do they actually let people aboard?

Can't answer that. There will be a boarding time printed on your
documents, but in my experience, they board way before the stated time.
Again, it depends a lot on when they're able to clear the ship of the
previous passengers. And, if they do board on the early side, it's
possible that your cabin will not be ready for occupancy. They'll try
to funnel everyone to the buffet area, and other public spaces.

What kinds of surprises might they spring on us?

What do you mean by surprises?

What should I have asked about that I didn't?

I think you've got it covered. Just go with the flow. There will be
lots of staff hovering about, that will be able to point you to the
right line to stand on. Be sure to have all your forms filled out
before entering the line, to expedite check-in.

And remember to smile for the welcome aboard photo...

Lee

Hate to sound like so much of a greenhorn, but I can find answers nowhere
else. HELP!