Old October 1st, 2003, 11:54 PM
Philippe Noth

Default Switzerland

Hi Rob,

1) Where in Switzerland? We want a hiking the Alps experience.

I'm sure most people will tell you about the Berner Oberland, places
like Gimmelwald and Mürren. It seems to be well known among this group's
readers.

My favourite region is the french-speaking Valais. It has the highest
mountains, some unspoilt and authentic valleys - I'm not thinking of
Zermatt or Verbier here - and a dry, sunny climate.

During the past 5 years, I took my American girlfriend all around Valais
and Berner Oberland, and I think her favourite place is the Val
d'Anniviers. It seems to be the favourite place of Kev Reynolds
("Walking in the Valais") as well.

Look for the villages of Saint-Luc, Zinal or Grimentz. In Saint-Luc, the
Hotel Bella Tola has a lot of charm (http://www.bellatola.ch) and the
choice of hikes is unlimited. We hiked a moutain called Le Touno last
August, 3017 meters (9900 ft) with amazing views. Zinal is further up
the valley, surrounded by several 4000s. Here you are closer to the icy
peaks, see http://www.noth.ch/h0106_e.html. I've never stayed in
Grimentz. That village is often said to be one of the nicest Alpine hamlets.

From Paris, you would need to take the train to Sion (with the French
fast train TGV to Geneva or Lausanne) and then a postal bus to climb the
hairpin curves of Val d'Anniviers.

If your time is limited, the Berner Oberland is a good option since it
is closer to your next destination Munich. Martin suggested a beautiful
hike, albeit very crowded (with Japanese). A wilder, tougher alternative
is the loop Grindelwald - First - Bachsee - Wart - Grosse Scheidegg -
Grindelwald. Duration: 6 hours roundtrip. Mail me for more details. The
lake Oeschinensee near Kandersteg is another touristy place with
dramatic scenery and good hiking opportunities.

--
Philippe Noth, Clarens/Montreux, Switzerland
http://www.noth.ch/