Old May 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
jjan

Default How tough are Zion Hikes?

Toller wrote:
"Craig" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote...

I am planning on visiting Zion in late July. Yes, I know it is horribly
hot, but that is when I will be there.
I am thinking of doing either Angel's Landing or Observation Point. I am
a little concerned about the strenuous nature of the them, but more so
about the chains. Can't say I have ever been on a trail with chains
before. Presumably no one falls off them or they wouldn't be open, but
just how dangerous and difficult are they?
Last year I did a 25' traverse across a 10" wide ledge with a 50' drop
off; I didn't much enjoy it and wouldn't want to face anything like that
again.
PS: from a web search:

In August 2006, a 29 year old Las Vegas woman fell 1,000 feet to her death
from near the top of the trail, the 5th fatality here since 1983.

Pix: http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index10.htm

Oh my God! Thanks for the link, it looks incredible; but I don't know if I
could do that.
I have climbed a 5 pitch 750' climb in Yosemite, but had a rope.

Hi Toller,

I did both Angels Landing and Observation Point. From the point of view
of hight anxiety Observation Point is not exposed, whereas only the last
300' of Angels Landing is (where the chains are). In the pictures it
looks pretty nasty, but in the real world it is not as scary, since
there ale always a lot of fellow hikers to help/assist. The view from
Observation Point is breathtaking too, since you look down on Angels
Landing!

Best regards and enjoy!

Jjan