Old May 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

Default How tough are Zion Hikes?

"Caveat" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote:
"Caveat" wrote:
"Toller" wrote:

Sadly, I am rather afraid of heights. Last year I had to have a friend
go
up on my roof and fix a piece of trim cause I couldn't; very
embarressing.
Is there any reason I couldn't wear a climbing harness and loop a rope
over the chain? Safely tied in I become very bold again.

The problem with this idea is that there are vertical posts along the
chained sections they would require unclips and re-clips, plus
sections with no chains...

A unclip and re-clip would only take a few seconds.

Ah, but during those few seconds (repeated dozens of times) you are
gulp unclipped. As in " If I slip here...."

I recently free climbed a 5.2 so I could set a toprope anchor.

Well then you certainly have the technical skills to do Angel's
Landing. Unless exposure of, say, 1200' seems more "difficult" than,
say, 30 feet. As you (and John Lennon) have observed: "It's all in the
mind." Just remember my favorite climbing maxim: "It's not the
consequence of a fall, but the likelihood of a fall that should
concern you." Not very likely on Angel's Landing.

I let my partner do all the leading because the idea of falling against some
little thing I stuck in a crack is too unnerving. He doesn't understand
what I am talking about. Afterall, the chances of falling on it are near
zero, so what's the issue.
"not very likely on Angel's Landing"

Thanks for your help.

I was quite
ill by the time I got to the top, despite not having fallen on anything
under 5.8 in years.

Probably more people have died from falls under 5.8 than above that
level, my friend. It is related to skill and experience.

And BTW you have no idea just how embarrassing it would be to do this
non-technical route with technical climbing gear, while dozens of kids
and geezers scamper around you -- pointing at you and snickering.

Oh yes I do! As I crawled up the pyramid at Uxmal, little kids played tag
on it.

All those Mayan temples are steep. Chichen Itza's main temple climb
isn't a place you would want to fall, either. But, for me, it was a
lot less intimidating than the claustrophobic crawl up the Caracol
tunnel at that park.

Caveat