Old August 25th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Ann B.

On 24 Aug 2004 13:02:36 -0700, (tom) wrote:

Fist time visitor to NYC. Looking for suggestions on 1)best area to
stay & 2)any specific hotels would be great too. Budget is $200-$300
per night, time Frame is latter part of October.

I would define our tastes by a recent trip to San Fran. We stayed in
a smaller boutique hotel, had an excellent Concierge/service, but we
don't require someone to turn down our bed, room service, laundry,
etc. Not to say we would rule out a large chain hotel yet if its a
"tie" we would go with the boutique. I guess you could say we want to
"experience" NYC, but will admit want to see/do all the typical
touristy things as well.

As well as location, other REALLY important consideration in a hotel
is cleanliness and safety. I've done some research on the Inn at 23rd
which seems but its in Chelsea which means I'm not sure what to me.

Thanks in advance for the help. If I can return the favor with advice
regarding travel to LA or San Fran then give a shout.

The Chelsea area is esthetically very appealing. If you like SF you'll
like Chelsea. It (and the hotel) you mention are well located to get
just about anywhere in Manhattan, with Greenwich Village, Soho, &
Meatpacking districts being walkable. It's not a heavy corporate
area, rather, lovely residential streets with loads of restaurants,
art galleries, shopping, and Chelsea Piers - hugeathletic complex.
The hotel is right next door to one subway line, and a one block walk
east or west brings you to other lines. Theatre district, Empire State
Bldg, Times Sq are all walking distance, it you enjoy walking I'd
recommend the area. Have walked past the hotel many times; looks
unassuming but nice. Don't know anyone who's stayerd there. If you
take it - ask for a quiet room as it is on a busy intersection.

Enjoy your visit!

Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.