Old July 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Worth staying in a classy hotel?

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...
"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

"J Asking" wrote in message
om...
What are readers thoughts on travelling to Asia and spending big $$$
to stay in an expensive hotel? Would people prefer to stay in a
hostel given that hotels should only b eused to sleep in?

Rather judgmental of you, don't you think?

When we travel, anywhere, we prefer to stay in nice hotels. We like a

quiet
room, a comfortable bed, clean bathroom with a generous tub, hot shower,
etc. We like our privacy. We like having a base of operations which,

among
other things, has the support of a competent concierge, a business

center,
reliable phone service, etc.

What may seem like big $$$ to you, isn't big $$$ to everyone.

One of our favorite hotels in the world is the J.W. Marriott in Hong

Kong.
First class service, beautiful (though small) rooms, and one of the most
highly-regarded restaurants in Hong Kong. Yes, I prefer to stay there.

No,
I wouldn't prefer to stay in a hostel in Hong Kong (or, for that matter,
anywhere else).

Couldn't agree more. My favorite is JWM in Bangkok.

I've stayed at the Marriott which is down the river a bit, but never at the
JW. The river resort was pretty nice, with spacious, beautifully furnished
rooms. The JW in Bangkok must be spectacular.

I travel a lot on
business, so my boss gets to foot the bill. That keeps me Platinum for
Marriott. I get upgraded to an Executive Suite whenever I'm in Bangkok
and it makes all the difference in the world (as compared to a cheaper
place).

Nice! I once had to spend a month in Hong Kong for business -- my hotel
bill was over $10K but, of course, paid by the client. That year I made
platinum -- usually I'm gold, though last year my travel dropped
dramatically and I'm only silver for this year.

But, as you pointed out (and I have pointed out before), it's a matter
of taste. Some people don't care. I have a hard time understanding
that, but to each his own.

What I always find interesting is that people like us, who prefer nicer
hotels, have no problem respecting the choices of the super-budget
travelers. However, it's usually the super-budget travelers, like the OP,
who insist on criticizing those of use who don't enjoy shared baths and
dormitory-style rooms when we travel.