Old January 30th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Who Goes There

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:35:31 +0000, Who Goes There wgt@home wrote:

Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Who
Goes There says...

Hi all

I think I've decided to take some travellers cheques to Thailand with me in
March and also a small amount of in Thai cash. I basically want to find the
best value for money so does anyone know if it makes a difference if I get
the cheques in $US or GBP?

The reason I'm taking cheques and not using my debit card in ATMs is because
my bank charge me a 2.75% overseas transaction charge plus 2% (minimum £2)
for cash advance. I think it's a bit cheeky but that's their rules.

Are you sure you are not confusing a credit card with an ATM card ? Cash
advance is usually done with credit cards, not debit (ATM) cards.

In any case, changing banks would be a good idea.

Here is the reply from my bank when I asked about ATM charges using my
debit card:

snip

Hello

Thank you for your message.

When using your card overseas, two charges can apply. However you use
it, you'll be charged a 2.75% overseas transaction charge (which will be
included in the transaction on your statement).

If you're getting cash with your card (either over the counter or at a
cash machine) there's also a 2% (or at least £2) cash advance fee.

The cash advance fee applies even if you're buying currency in this
country, if you use a Visa debit or credit card.

The best value is to buy the currency directly from us before you go.
You can visit any of our branches, or we can send you the currency by post.

Complete ********. The best value is to wait until you get to Thailand
where you'll get an average of 10% more for your money even if you
take sterling notes to exchange.

The VERY best advice is to get yourself a Nationwide Flex account. You
can use their ATM card at any cash machine worldwide and they charge
you NOTHING for using it. The cash machine owner may make a charge but
I've never been charged in Thailand and I use nothing else.
Furthermore if you want to buy TCs, as a Nationwide account holder,
you can buy as many as you want and all they will cost you is £3.50
delivery charge.

A Flex account sounds like the best deal I'll find. I'll go into
Nationwide tomorrow to chat to them.

Thanks for the info :-)