Old January 31st, 2005, 03:07 AM
Chris Blunt

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:03:08 +0000, Who Goes There wgt@home wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:08:10 +0000, Who Goes There wgt@home wrote:

Markku Grönroos wrote:

"Who Goes There" wgt@nowhere kirjoitti viestissä

Hi all

I think I've decided to take some travellers cheques to Thailand with me

in

March and also a small amount of in Thai cash. I basically want to find

the

best value for money so does anyone know if it makes a difference if I get
the cheques in $US or GBP?

No it does not. Perhaps there is still a 23 baht tax fee per note but for
200 euro notes that is only 0.2% or so.

Yes it does. If the OP is in the UK getting TCs in US$ will incur a
currency exchange charge. If he doens't spend all of his TCs in
Thailand (unlikely, I know) he'll then have to pay another currency
exchnage charge to cash them in back in the UK.

thanks for this. I just know banks like to have charges here there and
everywhere so now I know this I'll get them in GBP.

Now to find somewhere that buys them back free of charge as I expect the
bank will charge me to pay them into my account.

They shouldn't do if you're paying a GBP traveler's cheque into a GBP
bank account. A traveler's cheque is not really different from any
other kind of cheque. They should be able to credit your account with
its full face value and process it normally through the clearing
system.

Chris