Old September 6th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Pat Anderson

Default First safari advice

In message , andrew
writes
I would like to go on my first safari. There seems a wealth of knowledge in
here I'm glad to say.

I am quite an experienced traveller but will only have two weeks available &
like a bit of home comfort. Having said that I love camping in the UK & so
the idea of a tented camp is quite attractive. I will be travelling with my
in laws who are fit but in their sixties.

I really have an open mind but I am trending towards Kenya as it seems to
tick most of the boxes & offer good value for money.

The other question is what time of year? I can go anytime & so what ever
offers the best value for money whilst avoiding rainy / mosquito season.

Thanks.

Andrew,
You will get a wealth of advice on this NG and on this subject!
I lived in Kenya for some time and for me this is one of the best times
to visit Kenya. The short rains usually arrive early November and so
between now and through October is a great time. You will get other
opinions!
You can try Kuoni or Somak, both of whom offer good two week holidays
and if you check their brochures and/ or websites, you will see they
offer good hotels, lodges, tented camps-- which give you all the
comforts you need. You can spend a few days at a beach hotel as well if
you wish.
I think there are less mosquitos at this time of the year but you will
still need anti malaria protection.
I thought we were also going to Kenya this month but my other half
has work commitments!
Enjoy your holiday. Kenya is a great country with so much diversity.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson