Old September 13th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Ynot Ant

Default Looking for a TENT in South Africa

Hi,

I am looking to buy a tent to go backpacking around Africa and maybe also
hiking. The problem is in South Africa I can't seemed to find many brands
avaliable. So my choice has come down to the following 2 tents:

1. MSR Hubba
2. Northface Tadpole

So here are my questions

1. Can anybody recommend these tents ? Past expierences ?

2. The Hubba is lighter (1.6 kg) and the Tadpole is heavier (2.2 kg). I was
told the Tadpole is more wind resistance because of its 3 pole construction.
Is this
true ? How good is the Hubba's wind resistance ?

3. The Hubba has smaller space inside than the Tadpole. Can I get myself
(1.80 m long) and my 70L rucksack into the Hubba tent ?

4. Where in South Africa can I get other tents, eg. Mountain Hardware,
Hilleberg, Helsport, Terra Nova etc. ?

5. Can anybody recommend a tent for backpacking around Africa other than the
Hubba and Tadpole ?

Thanks
Loic