Old February 28th, 2004, 01:14 PM
R J Carpenter

Default St Maarten Euros Winair

"Jim Brewer" wrote in message
news:TEZ%b.422198$xy6.2444056@attbi_s02...

It was amazing to me that every
young person I picked up on the French side was genuinely helpless

regarding
speaking what is the international language of business and politics,

i.e.:
English.

Did you pick up any black people? If not, you may have been dealing with
tourists. My guess is that many black families on the French side speak
English at home. Did you pick up any people from the area of Orleans? It
looks to me as though the native language there is English, not French. The
church names in Orleans are all in English, only English.

I once spent a few hours in the waiting room at the hospital at Marigot. A
number of the others waiting seemed bilingual. People they knew would come
by - they'd speak to some in French, some in English. Every one of the
hospital's staff I dealt with spoke adequate English.