Old February 21st, 2004, 07:04 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Default Cheap flights /last seats/ ?

I heard about possibility of buying last tickets just before plane
departs (if there are few not occupied seats i heard that airlines sell them
really cheap just before departure - at least in Frankfurt). Is this right??

I wouldn't count on it! Not for standard flights. There are "Last Minute"
flights offered by charter carriers and tour operators--though often these
"Last Minute" deals are actually days or weeks before the flight--when they
figure that holidaymakers who want firm plans have already firmed up, and
hope to pick up impulse travellers and cheapskates.

Often, these "last minute" prices are actually available and bookable online
at supplier websites, such as here at the Neckermann website--just click on
the box that says Lastminute: http://tinyurl.com/36ev6

Even Opodo, the airline website equivalent to Orbitz in the U.S., has a
"Lastminute" section: http://tinyurl.com/26kn9