Old July 5th, 2010, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

Default Stopover for 4 days in Bangkok

"Manfred Aigner" kirjoitti
.ac.at...
schrieb Markku Grönroos:
[..]

Weatherwise Samet is probably a winner over these beach destinations in
Southern Thailand because it rains a lot less there in September in
average.
Hua Hin and Cha Am could be also attractive choices in this respect. [..]

Thanks for your detailed answer ... I think it will be Samet ... looks
nice and easy to get there ... any suggestions for a nice area/hotel
there? How long will it probably take to get from the airport with a
driver to the boat and organize the boat trip? And how much will
driver charge?

I was there in 2003. So my knowledge in this respect is outdated. However,
lodging seemed to be rather low key but sufficient. I stayed in a modest
"hotel" at the northernmost part of the island (sandy beaches reside on the
eastern side of the island). Nowadays there seem to be a few fancy places
too.

I believe in September there is lots of accommodation available for those
who have not pre-booked. A rough road is meandering through the island which
is covered with dense vegetation. Beaches are very nice. In my opinion there
are no better beaches in the kingdom for swimming and so. Because the island
is a national park, visitors must pay a park fee.

Both fast boats and slow boats leave from the piers of the fishing village
of Phe which is about 20 kilometres east from the city of Rayong. The sea
voyage is a short hop. There are buses to Pattaya from the airport for sure.
Perhaps to Rayong too. And perhaps all the way to Phe too because the
village resides along the highway 3. From Pattaya there are lots of
departures to Rayong and from Rayong it is easy to catch a songtaew to Phe.
Local transportation is very cheap in Thailand. A couple of euros from the
airport to Pattaya for instance. Fast boats can be a bit more expensive (I
guess they *may* include the park fee) from the mainland to Samet.

If you pre-booked your stay at a decent hotel, they could obviously arrange
you a smooth going transportation all the way from the airport to the island
(probably somewhat more expensive but a lot faster and convenient).