Old January 17th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Bob Myers

wrote in message
oups.com...

Can you still drop the tour? It's easy to get to and explore the
Asakusa Kannon Temple by yourself, and the market street leading up to
it is very interesting - you might want more time in that area, which
also includes many traditional Japanese craft shops. The Imperial
Palace and most of the park surrounding it are closed to visitors
except for two days a year, and the closest you can get the rest of the
time is a distant glimpse of the Palace from one corner of that park,
so I wouldn't really call it a must-see experience for someone on as
short a schedule as you are.

Were the original poster not also going to Kyoto, I
would probably be more encouraging when it comes to the
Asakusa Kannon temple - with Kyoto on the agenda, though,
there's far more to look forward to there. On my last visit to
Asakusa Kannon, I found it crowded and with not much to
offer except for tourist-trap shops. The surrounding area
DOES offer some traditional craft shops, but to see those
you often need to be willing to abandon the tour group and
strike out on your own. (On the last trip I mentioned, I took
a hand-held GPS with me, and got a fix on Ueno station when
there. After that, I took the subway out to Asakusa Kannon,
and then was able to wander the streets while walking back
in the general direction of Ueno - passing through Kappabashi-
dori on the way. I know I saw a lot more of what I would find
personally interesting doing that. For that matter, my personal
preference is just to wander around on my own, so that I can
get farther away from the "tourist stops" and more out in to
the "real" city.)

Asakusa Kannon itself, by the way, is not the original, but a
post-WWII reproduction (as is the case with most such sights
in Tokyo). The history buff wishing to see authentic, original
Japanese temples and other such buildings will again do far
better in Kyoto.

"Day 3 Tokyo (free day)
AM: would like to go to Ghibli Museum in Minatara. I have to get to
Shinjuku station from Roppongi, I think."

Just a reminder - it would again help if you could tell us which
hotel you'll be staying at, so that it will be easier to plan with your
"base of operations" in mind. Shinjuku Station is actually NOT
right on the subway system - it's easier to get to via the JR surface
lines. The nearest subway stops are a little ways west of the
station. Shinjuku Station itself is a must-see, especially around the
morning and evening rush hours, as it is then one of the busiest
in the world (if not THE busiest).

Never heard of that museum. There two excellent museums in Tokyo
itself that you might want to consider - the Edo-Tokyo Museum, which
tells Tokyo's history, and the Tokyo National Museum, which is the
premier collection of traditional Japanese art.

"On the way back, I think I might stop by Nakano for anime shopping if
time permits or I might have to skip and move onto Shinjuku or Shibuya
or Harujuku in the evening. B/c I need to do one of those!!! However,
this is all depending on whether I even get the tix to the museum."

You'll also be able to get your anime fix in Kyoto - I just wish
I could remember the name of the store! It's in one of the major
downtown shopping arcades - anyone else know which one I'm
talking about?

Bob M.