Old August 28th, 2007, 06:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Graham Harrison[_2_]

Default IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

"Tom Peel" wrote in message
Alain Quai schrieb:
http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/27082007/325...r-tickets.html

GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
had placed its last order for paper tickets, clearing the way for air
travel to be based entirely on electronic ticketing from June 1 next
year.

"In just 278 more days, the paper ticket will become a collector's
item," said Giovanni Bisignani, director general of the International
Air Transport Association.

Does this mean the end of air travel for someone who doesn't have a
credit card and a PC?

T.

No. It does not. The "E Ticket" that you print at home has nothing to do
with getting on the plane. I never show my e ticket at check in. It DOES
have some relevance for immigration occasionally if the officer asks you to
prove you will be leaving his country. Then you show the ET as proof.

While airlines are moving to having passengers print their boarding passes
at home they are still providing means to obtain them at the airport.

The credit card issue is more interesting. Given the move to self service
at the airport I fear that some form of plastic will be required to check in
at self service devices but that could be a credit/debit/ATB/frequent flyer
card or machine readable document such as a passport. Some airlines do
provide a keyboard to allow you to type date into their check in devices.
And, as for buying the ticket, travel agencies are not quite dead yet.