Old August 28th, 2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Tom Peel[_5_]

Default IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

Henry schrieb:
GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
had placed its last order for paper tickets...

...said Giovanni Bisignani, director general of the International
Air Transport Association.

The changeover ... would save 50,000
mature trees a year, he added.

I'll just note in passing that this 'save the trees' argument is
completely specious. With a well-managed forest products industry, two
trees are planted for every one harvested (or some such ratio) and the
increased greenery which results expands the lung capacity of the Earth,
absorbing CO2, countering global warming, etc., etc., etc., making
everybody happier all around. There is absolutely no reason to feel
guilty about using paper.

cheers,

Henry

Not to mention all the CO2 consumed in driving those millions of 3.5
GHz computers that Intel thinks we needs. Something like 10% of the
world's electrical power is used by the internet, including servers,
network, home PCs and air conditioning, I read somewhere?

T.