Old January 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ralph Fox

Default Milford Track and Routeburn Tracks, rough dollar amount.

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:57:13 +1300, in message ,
Fred wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Howdie all,

Without my life story getting in the way, basically how much would I in
need in Australian dollars to walk both Milford Track and Routeburn
Tracks ignoring airfares and gear (which i mostly have already, from my
other bush walking adventures).

--snip--

There are two ways to walk these tracks. (called tramping in NZ) As a guided
walker you will join a large party and have your gear provided, meals
supplied and cooked etc. That's the expensive option - over $1000 per track
or thereabouts (that could be a bit outdated now)

That's about right for the Routeburn.
The Milford guided walk costs around $1600-$1750.

Alternatively go as a
'freedom walker'. Means carrying your own gear, and preparing meals etc.