Old May 27th, 2006, 12:31 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

Default Backpack recommendation for 3 month EuroTrip

Hi:

One of my family members will be doing some backpacking in Europe for a few
months this summer.

I've been trying to find a backpack for them that is suitable (based on the
requirements below) for a young adult male but so far no luck.

Here are our requirements:

-conversion style-pack (those backpacks with the flap that covers the hip
belt and shoulder straps so when you go on a plane or train the straps can
be stowed away)
-should be comfortable for young male adult (e.g. padded waist-belt that
should carry it on the waist and not the shoulders. Should straps should
also be adjustable)
-decent size (something between a minimum of 80 litres to a maximum of 100
litres capacity. We'd prefer something at 90 litres or higher if possible).
-NO daypack necessary
-multiple-entry points for packing (e.g. not top-loading only) or
multiple-compartments. For example, having a zipper that goes around the
sides for the top 1/2 of the pack would provide convenience of access.

They do not need a daypack, they are just looking for a large capacity
backpack that has the hip belt and shoulder straps that can be stowed away.
However, the only packs we've been able to find so far are those top-loading
only backpacks (Which are huge but it is inconvenient to only be able to
load clothes, etc. from the top of the backpack) without the stow-away
straps.

Any suggestions for stores in the Greater Vancouver area (particularly
around Vancouver/Burnaby/ and West/North Van?)

Thanks.

SS