Old February 8th, 2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Default Wifi in USA hotels?

"Graham Harrison" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
During my imminent holiday in California I want to be sure that I'll get
my daily fix of wifi access from my iPad. Some of the hotels I've browsed
explicitly refer to 'free wifi', which is fine (although I also need to be
sure I can get it in my room, not just in a limited public area).

But many just say 'High-speed Internet access'. Do I assume that is *not*
wifi, but plug-in sockets for laptops/notebooks, or maybe even just a
fixed PC or two?

Are there any particular hotel chains that are noted for free wifi
throughout the hotel?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

My experience when travelling in the US (and Canada) is that the vast
majority of mid market and even many of the cheaper motels and hotels offer
wi-fi throughout the hotel and rooms. Surprisingly (perhaps) it's some of
the more expensive properties that provide the service at a charge.

In Yukon and Alaska last Summer a couple of places only had it in the lobby
and one motel on Vancouver Island only offered wired internet but I consider
them to have been exceptions.

If by chance you choose somewhere that doesn't offer service you'll find
that (as in the UK) many fast food joints and coffee shops offer
connectivity.

In recent years I've stayed in Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Holiday
Inn, Ramada, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Super 8, Residence Inn, Quality
Inn, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, Days Inn, Embassy Suites, La Quinta and some
independents. The only place where internet has been completely missing
has tended to be in National Parks.

Thanks all, appreciate those very helpful replies.

Re that excellent suggestion about a 3G microsim for my iPad, I've asked
my son if it's possible to get me one in advance of my arrival. I'll need
about 16 days worth. Not sure what that would cost, but presumably more
than '$10ish'?

I expect I'll be in Southern California, maybe going NE into the desert
and maybe several national parks. I guess I can expect patchy or
non-existent coverage there?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK