Old August 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Sapphyre

Default Tanzania

On Aug 15, 11:27*am, Hans-Georg Michna hans-
wrote:
A little hint on the sidelines---in many countries, including,
for example, Kenya and China, you can at any time pull money
from your bank account through an ATM, using a Maestro debit
card. Very convenient, always good rates.

For backup, you could carry some travellers cheques and a credit
card. No need to carry large amounts of cash.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.

For Angola and Zimbabwe, this would be impossible. Angola does accept
foreign cards, and Zimbabwe has inflation problems making it risky to
try changing money that way. I'm also concerned i won't know how much
I'm pulling, because I can't find out my balance without calling into
the bank. Online banking doesn't work for me because I don't have an
SSN, so I can't sign up. I'm not able to do anything online with Visa
either. Will be difficult to call from Africa.

Cheers,
S.