Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

Default Alaska: Summer camping or September hotel ?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Alaska in 2007. I have seen several great
tours which involve either summer camping (July and August) or are
hotel-based (first 2 weeks of September). Which would be the best ? I
would like to avoid the mosquitoes and tourists as much as possible,
and hopefully see the Northern Lights, whilst having a decent weather.
I am looking for anyone who has experience camping in Alaska in the
summer: is it cold at night and is there a lot of rain? Does anyone
know what is the weather like early September ? Any response would
help me make my decision, since it is a big trip (I am based in
Belgium, Europe) and would like to make the right decision.

Thanks !

Marianne

The short answer is the weather is highly variable. I was there
last June and for the first 10 days the weather was ideal.
The sun shone and daytime temperatures went up to 25C
dropping to around 10 at night.

The last 4 days however we had a LOT of rain and it was
much cooler. By sept the days are noticeably shorter and its
getting cooler. However going early or late in the season
does mean the crowding is less and by camping you will
see more of the wildlife. Do follow the rules published for
storing food though. Bears can be dangerous and you
dont want one ripping open your tent to get the food you packed.

Your not going to see the northern lights I'm afraid. In
summer it doesnt even get fully dark.

Keith