Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maddie

Default Alaska: Summer camping or September hotel ?

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your advice, it really helps a lot ! I plan to
participate in an organised tour since I would be going alone. Most of
these tours go to Kenai, Denali, Fairbanks, Wrangell, so to the major
attractions in Alaska. Although it is a shame that none of these add
the Inside Passage to their programme.

You must love Alaska if you have done such big trips over there. I
can't wait to get there, counting down to it already...

All the best and thanks again,
Marianne

Craig schreef:

wrote...

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Alaska in 2007. I have seen several great
tours which involve either summer camping (July and August) or are
hotel-based (first 2 weeks of September). Which would be the best ? I
would like to avoid the mosquitoes and tourists as much as possible,
and hopefully see the Northern Lights, whilst having a decent weather.
I am looking for anyone who has experience camping in Alaska in the
summer: is it cold at night and is there a lot of rain? Does anyone
know what is the weather like early September ? Any response would
help me make my decision, since it is a big trip (I am based in
Belgium, Europe) and would like to make the right decision.

Thanks !

Marianne

It would help to know where in AK you plan visiting given the state's size
and varied geography, but in general, it can be cold at night in August. My
worst-ever night of camping was spent at Riley Creek Campground in Denali NP
in Aug. due to the cold. My water bottles on my bicycle froze solid! July
could still be mosquito-ey while late August and Sept. have a pretty major
drop in bugs. August is still fairly well lit so if Northern Lights are
important to you, I'd shoot for September--avoid July at all costs. One tip
in Northern Lights viewing is to enlist helpers since you really should
check the sky frequently through the night. If several folks share the
scouting, and know that you're willing to be awakened at any time when the
Lights are out, you'll more than likely not miss a good display.

All in all, given your thoughts, I vote for Sept.:

-Fewer mosquitoes
-Fewer tourists
-Potential (especially in mid-late Sept..) for some good deals in shopping
-Much better chance of getting a great view of the Northern Lights
-Although cold, you'll be in hotels rather than a tent in pretty cold August

-the one downside is that by mid-late Sept., some attractions may be closed
and business staff (restaurant cooks and servers, lodging cleaners, etc.)
may be operating short-staffed since some of the seasonal help has already
headed south for winter jobs, school, etc.

Regardless of when you go, a good rain suit or something pretty waterproof
will be very useful--as will dressing in layers.

PS--I've done 4 month-long bicycle camping trips in AK and Yukon/NWT and
have worked three seasons in Skagway (May-Sept.) with excursions into the
Interior on my days off and base my thoughts on my experiences.

Craig