Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maddie

Default Alaska: Summer camping or September hotel ?

Hi Janice,

I am a young spirit in an older body ;-) I am 40 (still can't believe
it myself). Yes, I have noticed as well that the organized tours are
targeted at an older and wealthier public. I have found 3
organisations which are geared towards younger people:
www.footloose.com and www.explore.co.uk (which has an enormous choice).
In Alaska itself I have found www.travelalaskaoutdoors.com (only
camping) which if I decide to go camping, would probably be the ones I
would go with (prices range from $995 to 2500 but nearly everything is
included).

Maddie

schreef:

Maddie wrote:
Hi Janice,

Thanks for your reply. Normally I am not the kind of person that goes
on an organized trip, I like my independence too much, but I would be
all alone going to Alaska, so it would be nice to meet new friends on
an organized trip (read: adventure trip, not the run-of-the-mill
package tours). but adventure = camping, hence my dilemma since I like
to be warm in my bed ;-). In any case, if I find anyone who wants to
come with me (none of my friends want to come to Alaska), I would rent
a car and travel around l ike that, and then I will definitely contact
you again for those addresses. Although the likelihood of someone
coming along is very low...
I guess the weather in Alaska is as varied as it is in Belgium in the
summer: you never know what you will get !

Maddie,

I am guessing from your posts that you are under 30. My experience
with organized travel in Alaska is it is for the 65+ crowd. Do you
have a site for trips that you are looking at. I would just be curious
as to the cost.

Alaska is the closest to hitchhiking in Europe as you will ever get. I
am 54 and took my 27 year old son for his first trip to Alaska last
summer. He had a great time and hooked up with contemporaries every
day. I think even he was surprised that travelling with mom would work
out to his benefit so well. It is not mom, but Alaska. One day he met
some guys going ice climbing and was free to go. Another night we were
invited to go red salmon fishing with some people we met, and saw black
bears within 15 feet of our car.

Hopefully the tour company you are looking at is geared towards younger
travellers, although I haven't seen one like that yet.

Janice