Old January 13th, 2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Default Travel Length of Vietnam

Gtr wrote:

No answers, but many questions: Do you speak any Vietnamese.

Yes, my wife is Chinese/Vietnamese and reads, writes and speaks Vietnamese,
Mandarin, and Cantonese. Vietnamese is her native tongue but she was taught
Mandarin as a second language in grade school.

Would that be necessary.

On our last trip to Vietnam in December, we found many people in the service
field do not speak English, including taxi drivers, hotel staff,
shopkeepers, and government. My wife's native speaking background was
invaluable as we traveled independently around Ha Noi and Ha Long Bay.
Having said that, it would not prevent me from visiting this fantastic
country. I highly recommend a stay in the Ha Noi Old Quarter followed by a
two or three day junk cruise around Ha Long Bay

rg