Old January 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
bob

Default Travel Length of Vietnam

Having just returned from 2 months there, I'd have to agree enthusistically.
Flights within the country are ridiculously cheap by Western standards, and
can save a whole heap of time. One example is Hanoi to Hue. There's not too
much between the 2 cities of interest to most visitors, so the 40-odd
dollar, 1 hour flight, is a bargain compared to the long overnight train or
bus ride. More time to spend actually doing things.

--

Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"Michael Sherman/msphoto" wrote in message
One thing you should be aware of is that the roads in Vietnam (including
the main north south highway) are pretty grim with lots of potholes,
construction and congestion. Internal flights are plentiful, inexpensive
and on modern equipment. That way you could spend more of your time seing
what you want to see rather than bouncing around being uncomfortable and
carsick for 50 bucks a day. Check out my Vietnam pix at
http://www.msphoto.ca/Vietnam.htm

"Sharkbait" wrote in message
A couple years ago, we hired a driver and van to tour the Mekong delta
region and southwest coast of Vietnam. There were several of us and I
never did learn what the cost per day for car, fuel, and driver worked out
to be. I want to think it was probably around $40/day, since native
relatives did the negotiating for the car and driver. Does this sound
right? Last year, we paid nearly $60 a day for a driver and car in
Yunnan, China.

My wife and I are contemplating a trip from Ha Noi to Ho Chi Minh of
three weeks and would like to do this by hired car and driver. We are
open to starting our journey from either city if there is a significant
difference in cost.

rg