Old March 5th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Mark Hewitt

Default Scotland advice wanted

"David Adler" wrote in message
om...

Rather than staying in a different place each night, I'd like to pick
2-3 places to use as a base and explore from there. I'm thinking
Inverness as one base, and someplace in the Hebrides (Isle of Skye?)
as a second base. Any thoughts on this plan? Better
suggestions/additions? What are the "must-see" sights around those
places?

I generally find in Scotland there is lots of little nice things to see,
rather than big, you gotta see this! type attractions. I would recommend
getting a route planner e.g. www.theaa.com and finding out driving times,
it's easy to think places don't look too far away but on some of the roads
in Scotland it can take a long time!

Inverness is good for the North East, if you are wanting the West coast then
Oban is a nice place to stay. You can get a ferry from here to some of the
islands too.

We'll rent a car for the trip - is an international driver's license
needed, or will one from the US suffice?

That'll be fine. I would recommend renting a smallish car, Fiesta kind of
size, much more comfortable on some of the roads in the highlands which are
often very narrow.