Old September 27th, 2009, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

Default Cashing Travellers checks in USA

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:29:43 -0700 (PDT), JamesStep
wrote:

Do banks, Hotels, Restaurants etc, charge a fee for cashing US
Travellers cheques.???

I don't think stores ever charged me a fee when I used cheques to pay
for purchases years ago; they treated them like cash. I never tried
just cashing them in a bank so I don't know if they charge a fee.

But they are rarely used anymore due to the popularity of credit
cards.

....and ATM cards. I haven't used a travelers check in over 20 years.

I used to use travelers checks when I traveled from home (the USA) to
Europe, but switched to ATM cards when it became apparent that I would
get a better exchange rate from the ATM card.

Last time I used traveler's cheques (maybe 10 years ago) I
found that many clerks had never seen them before.

And using a US travelers check in stores, hotels, etc. in Europe got
me even a poorer exchange rate that I got in a bank.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup