Old September 28th, 2009, 06:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

Default Cashing Travellers checks in USA

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 21:23:11 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 27, 5:49*pm, SMS wrote:
In 1993 I was in Moscow and no stores or restaurants would take
traveler's checks. Those people that brought them had to go to a bank to
cash them. I had brought some, but had also brought enough cash and I
spent very little while there because it was an organized bicycle trip
with all meals and accommodations provided. They would only take cash
that was in very good condition with no tears in the bills.

I assume you mean Moscow, Idaho since the orginal poster explicitly
asked about "Cashing Travellers checks in USA".

Please note that he did not specify US dollar traveler's cheques.

I have had no
problems using traveller's checques in Boise or Sun Valley. I would
expect a lot of problems trying to get merchants to accept dollar-
denominated TCs in places where the local currency was something
different (like pounds, euros, rubles, yuan, yen, etc.).

Or vice-versa.