Old January 13th, 2005, 11:21 PM
BruceB

about all I have it narrowed down to is "you'll really like Maui"
"skip Honoloulou-you've got enough of that big city crap in Chicago,"

All I can say is Maui Nö Ka `Oi -- Maui is the best.. Yes, you probably
should skip Honolulu, although there's quite a bit on that island.

We're both early 30-somethings, and pretty active. We've been to the
Carribbean and Thailand in the past. Having the beach or water close
at hand for snorkeling is a priority, and we will be looking to dive
oh... say, 4 or 5 days over the course of our 2 weeks. I've got about
25 dives under my belt over the past 7 years and my SO was certified
last year, so we won't be looking for adrenaline filled diving or

You can get great diving in Maui or Hawai'i (Big Island). Maybe anywhere.

I wanna see the volcanoes, maybe some kayaking, maybe rent a
car and drive around the island. And I think I'd like to pick up camp
and move only once during the stay (so, I guess i'm looking for 2
hotels, one in Maui somewhere, and one on another island..unless
inter-island transport is too much of a pain).

It's a pain, but not excessively so. If you've never been to the state
before, 2 islands are probably worth the trouble. Personally, I'd pick Maui
and the Big Island. Totally different, but both still pretty Hawaiian (esp.
Big Island).

We don't have money to burn by any stretch, but I'm also willing to
pay to be in a place that's clean and not run down. I've got a mental
idea of wanting to stay under $225 a night but I've also not looked
enough to whether that's terribly realistic.

Really easy to find a nice place for that either island. You gotta look
around a little, but it's do-able. It's really easy to pay too much if
you're not careful.