Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default My web site for Baltics and St Petersburg

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:16:55 -0400, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

OK thanks. I read on the Cities page that you didn't get off the ship in
Geiranger, so thought it was another stop.

That's probably a slight ambiguity on that page because the headings
are adjacent to some writing which doesn't relate to the heading. The
writing says

"Hellesylt in Norway is not shown, although it appears on the list of
ports for this cruise. The reason for this is that it is a point of
disembarkation for those taking an excursion via bus on shore. We did
not take this tour but remained onboard, picking up the bus crowd at
Geiranger"

When the boat stops at Geiranger those who didn't take the bus tour
just get off and wander around.

One thing I discovered while asho there are only 200 residents in the
town and they support ... all of those visiting ships - I found that
amazing !

I always find it interesting when you turn up at any of these little
places - the fact that to us it's something novel and quaint and
picturesque - but to someone else it's there home and livelihood. As I
type this, someone is waiting patiently for the next boat to come, to
see the next boatload of wide-eyed tourists.

It's a bit like here ...I collect our grandkids from the kindergarten
and often there are these wide-eyed pommie tourists gawking at the
street next door to the kindergarten. Its the "Ramsey Street" location
for the TV show of the same name which is made here and a big hit in
the UK. I've never watched the show myself.

Bob T.