Old September 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
Thomas Spillman

Default Austin, Texas is not a music capital

Gumby wrote:

If quantity is what equals value to you, then I suppose you may have a
point. If it's quality you want, I have heard better jazz/folk
musicians in NYC subway stations.

The London underground also has some good buskers. However, as you
point out below, Austin is considerably smaller.

The real shame is that a state the size and population of TX
has so little to contribute to the national arts community. At the
very least one of the major cities should have a top shelf "A"
orchestra.

I agree. OTOH, my horn teacher pointed out to me, he was former
principal horn player of the now defunct San Jose Symphony, the funding
of orchestras is a major problem all across the country. Few people are
willing to support a top shelf "A" orchestra. My son is in charge of
fund solicitation for the New York Phil and has also mentioned that even
in NYC it is hard to get support for such an orchestra.

Also, KMFA doesn't get high levels of support here...

However, as a libertarian who is a believer in the "Chicago school" of
economics, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The market will
supply what people want, good or bad...

Regards...

Tom