Old April 25th, 2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default trip to usa december/january

cora wrote:
Well this isn't a new subject, but I have more questions and don't now
how to continue on without starting a new topic - Can anyone help???
Niagara Falls in december - to go or not to go. does anyone else have
an opinion
I really really want to go to the amish dfistrict in pennyslvania and
thought we could stop there for a night or 2 on our way to Niagara
Falls.
Anymore opinions on Christmas in new York or our other option is Grand
Canyon at Xmas. Also need somewhere reasonable to stay in new York if
anyone knows of anywhere
Shpuld we wait until we get to USA to buy cold weather gear. I have
already bought thermals and fairly warm jackets, but I don't think that
will be enough.

Thansk heaps tp the people who have givenm advice it has been extremely
useful and I have been checking out all the links people have given me
as well.
Corinne

I don't think you realize what the weather will really be like in the
American north west in Dec/Jan. If you don't have warm clothes now and
you don't experience cold weather normally, you are going to be VERY
uncomfortable - especially with three small kids. The driving can be
very DANGEROUS in the mountains of Pennsylvania in the winter, again
especially if you are not experienced in driving in snow and icy
conditions. I recommend DON'T DO IT!!!

Save this part of your trip for another time, save the money, come back
to New York in the spring or fall.

As others, including me, have said in your other thread DO NOT drive to
Niagara falls at that time of year. Not worth the trip. I also don't
understand the idea that you have to save money on a NYC hotel but are
willing to spend hundreds of dollars outfitting five people with cold
weather cloths (that you probably won't use at home) for the trip. Why
not save the money on the clothes and plan a return trip to NYC when the
weather is better. Christmas in NYC can be great but again, with three
small kids may be difficult. You will have to make that decision for
yourself. I would not have gone with my kids at that age. (and for me
it is a short drive home).

I am not an expert on air fares but wouldn't a return ticket to San
Francisco with a return car rental now and a return ticket to NYC at
another time be more reasonable than the many short one way flights and
the one way car rental you plan to take in this trip? Others can
probably answer that better than I.

Hope this helps.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d