Old January 30th, 2016, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Traveling on one-way tickets

On 2016-01-30 16:51:38 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:22:01 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

Britain is not in Schengen.

But in the EU, which entitles UK citizens to freedom of movement.
The passport check is just a formality.

Not really the check is to filter out Non-EU members too
The thoroughness of the check depends on whether the check is at an airport, or
ferry terminal or land boundary.

When I took the ferry from Portsmouth to France in 2002, I stayed at
the railing to watch the ship approach the dock. Then discovered
everyone already departed and it took a while before I found my way out
through the ship's loading dock. No one cared.

A similar situation existed when I visited Ireland. Between the
Republic and UK sides of Ireland, there was no border controls.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com