Old August 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

Default How to pack light, some tips

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:25:03 GMT, the renowned "sharx35"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:58:18 +0300, the renowned Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
viestissä:nl3jc3pki22123egcss1f7vrbitem9vb0v@4a x.com...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not having a
mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need one.

You never visit anyone when you're on holiday?
You don't have anyone depending on you back home?
You don't need to make reservations at a restaurant when you're
travelling?
You don't ever trip a credit card security flag and have to call?

Any single one of those makes carrying a modern GSM phone well worth
it, assuming you're mostly travelling where they will work.

Of course if your holiday consists of travelling to a set location or
two and staying in a fixed hotel, a cell phone may be a needless
luxury, particularly if you don't have a demanding job, but in that
case, the extra weight is of little consequence.

Demanding job, does your ****ING contract STATE that you have to be ALWAYS
in touch?

Me? It's to my own benefit, financially and for peace of mind, to stay
in touch. Usually it's not required, but sometimes it comes in very
handy, especially over a period of weeks. When you are aware of
potential problems or have an ailing friend or relative, the phone not
ringing is a very nice thing.

Every motel or hotel or resort that I have EVER stayed in has
TELEPHONES.

aka "profit centers". I have bad memories of the old days when we had
to make a late night trek to some foreign Post Office in a strange
city in order not be taken to the cleaners.

I simply make any calls I need to do every morning or evening
from the hotel I am in.I leave employers, family, friends, etc a copy of my
itinerary, including WHERE I will be each day and the phone numbers of my
hotels.

Only for short business trips or mini-holidays do I ever know that
stuff in advance and in that level of detail. But then packing light
isn't an issue, and the WiFi notebook, mouse, MP3 player with big
headphones etc. usually make the trip too.

That is a LOT cheaper than getting a cell phone and carting it
around.

Cheaper, perhaps, although money isn't always paramount. Hotels can
(and do) charge exorbidant rates for long distance and international
calls. With an unlocked GSM cell phone, in most places except Japan
and Korea, you can pop in a local SIM card and get a local phone
number and prepaid long distance for very reasonable price. In fact,
I'm seriously thinking of bringing *two* cell phones (and chargers)
the next time I go to Asia for an extended period of time.

Now, taking the DSLR or not is less of a no-brainer, and I don't even
have all the lenses I want yet. Thousands of dollars worth of stuff,
bulky, fragile, easily stolen, but it delivers a tangible benefit in
terms of potential quality of photos compared to a tiny
point-and-shoot camera. Snapshot vs. the kind of photos that can be
blown up, mounted, and put on the wall. Notebook computers likewise,
though the last family mini vacation we went one we brought two
notebooks so there was no waiting. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany